Thai Satay Chicken (sa-te-kai)
PEANUT SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- One 13.5-ounce can of full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Spice Horizon Thai red curry powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened (natural) creamy peanut butter (the ones with natural peanut oil on top and no sugar added)
- ½ Tbsp Spice Horizon sea salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider or distilled white vinegar (for this recipe, do not use rice or balsamic vinegar)
- ½ cup wate
CHICKEN MARINADE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 12 wooden bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- ½ cup can coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 slices ginger, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp ground Spice Horizon coriander
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon Thai red curry powder
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- ½ tsp Spice Horizon chili oil
- Place peanut sauce ingredients into a heavy thick-bottomed pot and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Simmer an additional 3–5 minutes over low heat. Stirring constantly, preventing the mixture from scorching on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the peanut sauce cool down to room temperature.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and thread onto water soaked bamboo skewers.
- Combine all chicken marinade ingredients, whisking together.
- Place skewers of chicken into a casserole dish and pour marinade over chicken skewers. Cover and refrigerate from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Rub olive oil onto grilling surface to keep chicken from tearing when turning the skewers.
- Remove chicken skewers from marinade, shaking off excess marinade.
- Place skewers on grilling surface and cook until done. Use tongs to turn the skewers as they will be very hot.
- When finished grilling the chicken, serve skewers on a platter and pla