Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Spanakopita is a Greek pie stuffed with spinach, onions, cheeses and herbs that are surrounded by a crispy, flaky phyllo dough. Hearty enough to serve as a vegetarian dinner with a side of Greek tzatziki and a simple salad. You can also cut into smaller squares and serve as a warm appetizer next to a hummus, antipasto, couscous or even a panzanella board.
- 3 Tbsp Spice Horizon Greek Kalamata Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, rinsed and finely chopped*
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 large eggs slightly beaten
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 16 oz pkge (8 sheets) phyllo dough properly thawed
- ¼ cup Spice Horizon Greek Kalamata Olive Oil
- ½ cup Spice Horizon pine nuts
*Note: You can substitute one 16oz frozen package of spinach, but you will need to press out all of the water once the spinach has thawed.
- Preheat oven to 350º degrees Fahrenheit
- Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a 9 x 9 square baking pan
- Heat 3 Tbsp Spice Horizon Kalamata Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute chopped onion, green onions, and garlic until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to saute until spinach is limp (about 2 mins)
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, feta and pine nuts. Stir in spinach mixture.
- Unroll the phyllo sheets and place them between two very lightly damp kitchen cloths (or damp paper towels). Otherwise the dough will dry out and not be pliable.
- Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo dough, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo dough.
- The sheets will overlap the pan. Spread the spinach and cheese mixture on top of the phyllo dough and fold the overhanging dough over the filling. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into the pan to seal the filling.
- Bake in the preheated over for 30 – 40 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Cut into squares and serve while hot. Enjoy!
Things you'll need for this recipe...