Jeanne's Tomato Salsa
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp fine grain sugar
- 2 Tbsp Spice Horizon fine grain Himalayan pink salt
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon ground coriander
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp Spice Horizon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground Spice Horizon black pepper to taste
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- Optional: 2 cloves minced garlic
- Drop tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for about 10 seconds to make it easy to remove the skins, then remove. Peel off tomato skins and allow to cool before chopping.
- Chop tomatoes into bite size chunks and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño peppers and add to bowl with tomatoes.
- Whisk lemon or lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, coriander, oregano and pour over the tomato, onion, and pepper mixture.
- Grind black pepper (about 2 tsp) and stir into mixture.
- Refrigerate and serve.
- Garnish with cilantro (optional).
- Great over eggs, on tacos, over burritos, as a dip with chips, can be used as bruschetta on toasted bread slices (drain of some of the liquid to keep bread from becoming soggy.
Things you'll need for this recipe...