Homemade Rustic Pizza
- 5 cups “00” extra-fine flour (reserve ½ cup for dusting)
- 1 ½ tsp powdered active yeast
- 1 ½ tsp Spice Horizon Himalayan finely ground sea salt
- 2 ¼ cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Your favorite tomato sauce
- Caramelized onions
- Sliced heirloom tomatoes (heirloom tomatoes have less water, but still slice thin)
- Artichoke hearts, sliced
- Smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced or grated
- Fresh mozzarella slices
- Porcini mushrooms, sliced thin
- Red, green bell peppers, sliced thin
- Sliced black or green olives
- Preheat oven at the highest temperature for one hour. If using a pizza stone, place the pizza stone into the oven for at least 45 minutes prior to placing the pizza dough onto stone.
- Mix dry dough ingredients in a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) on low until all ingredients are well distributed.
- Follow active yeast directions and mix with water.
- Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook.
- Drizzle in the yeast & water mixture to the dry dough ingredients with the stand mixer on low. Mix for 8 to 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and sticky. The dough should begin to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- If the dough is too sticky…sprinkle in more flour. If the dough is too dry…drizzle in more water.
- Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured surface and work with hands to form a baguette shaped loaf. Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and form those into round balls.
- Place the balls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours in a dry warm area (an empty oven works well for rising).
Things you'll need for this recipe...