Harira Soup (The Traditional Berber Soup of Morocco)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp Spice Horizon ground black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp Spice Horizon ground ginger (or 1 inch grated fresh ginger)
- ¼ tsp Spice Horizon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- ¾ cup chopped fresh celery stalks (reserve any leaves for garnish)
- 1 (29oz) can San Marzano tomatoes, diced (reserve liquid)
- ¾ cup green lentils
- 1 (15oz) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 4oz vermicelli pasta (broken in half)
- 1 whole organic lemon, juiced
- 2 large eggs, beate
- Brown lamb in a heavy skillet, adding black pepper, butter, cayenne, celery, cinnamon, ginger, onion, & turmeric.
- Transfer browned lamb mixture into a soup pot
- Add reserved tomato juice, lentils & water to the pot on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 2 hours (until lentils are soft)
- About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve, turn up the heat to medium, then add the can of drained chickpeas, and vermicelli to the soup pot.
- When the vermicelli is done, stir in the lemon juice and beaten eggs and cook for another minute or so.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the reserved celery leaves (or cilantro) to taste.
Things you'll need for this recipe...