Guinness Shepherd's Pie
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup Guinness stout beer
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ pound ground lamb
- ½ pound ground beef
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or dehydrated rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped Italian parsley (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
Mashed Potatoes for topping:
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a heavy dutch oven, then add onion, carrot, garlic, celery and meat. Cook until browned, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat, place the meat mixture back into the dutch oven.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour with the beef broth, Guinness Stout beer, tomato paste, and herbs. Pour broth mixture over the meat and vegetables and simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the frozen peas.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 ½ quart baking dish; then set aside.
- Bring the chunked potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender (about 20 minutes); then drain off excess water.
- Mash the potatoes with the 6 Tbsp butter, milk, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Place mashed potatoes in a piping bag and cover the top of the meat & vegetable mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 – 40 minutes.