Grilled Greek Octopus
There's nothing better than fresh grilled octopus, but it does take a little extra effort to ensure that it's tender and succulent.
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds octopus (Greek or Spanish)
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 carrots, rough cut
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon zest
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Since the octopus under cold water.
- Cut off the octopus body and reserve. Remove the next part of the body, the eyes and discard, leaving just the tentacles.
- Flip the tentacles upside down and press the beak out of the opening at the center of the octopus and discard the beak.
- Place the octopus body and tentacles in a large pot or dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, onion, minced garlic, parsley, wine, extra virgin olive oil.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid and heat to boiling. Reduct the heat to a simmer and cook another 45 minutes to an hour, until the octopus is still firm and tender. Remove from the heat and place the octopus on a platter to let cool.
- When the octopus is cool enough to handle easily, and rub off the remaining skin. Don't be too rough, or the tentacles will break and the suction cups will break off.
- Place the octopus and tentacles in a bowl and add the sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, parsley leaves and extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat the octopus with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Heat the grill to high (about 425° Fahrenheit). Sear the octopus on the grill. Use an iron skillet to press down the octopus on the grates (as this achieves the best crust).
- Grill for about 2 - 3 minutes and remove from the grill.
- Cut off the tentacles and slice the body into 1/2 - 3/4" thick rounds.
- Arrange octopus on a platter. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon.
- Garnish with thinly sliced red onions and flat leaf parsley.
Things you'll need for this recipe...