French Onion Tart
- 1 pie crust
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 6 oz smoked bacon strips
- 1 ½ oz gruyère cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Sauté bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until bacon is cooked through and crispy (about 7 minutes). Remove bacon and set aside. In the same skillet, add the onions, and let them cook for about 10 minutes until cooked, but not colored.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and the milk together. Season with salt and pepper. (be careful to not add too much salt if the bacon is already salted)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grease a tart pan and fit the pie dough into it then lightly prick the dough all over.
- Add the sautéed onions and crispy bacon on top of the tart and then sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Pour egg-milk mixture over the top of the tart.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden.