Carne Asada (Flank Steak)
- 3 lb flank steak
- ½ cup Spice Horizon Garlic Infused, Lime infused Olive Oil or plain Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ¾ cup lime juice
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 slices of diced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon Chipotle Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon organic Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon Sweet Spanish Paprika
- 1 tsp Spice Horizon dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Spice Horizon freshly ground peppercorns
- Prepare the marinade ingredients (chopping, dicing, juicing, measuring).
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- (I like toasting my cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, oregano, ground pepper in a pre-heated skillet for a couple of minutes, or until you begin to smell the spice aroma). This adds a toasty fire-roasted extra complexity to the raw spices.
- Remove 1 cup of the marinade and refrigerate to be used as a finishing sauce once flank steak is cooked.
- Place the flank steak between two sheets of heavy plastic wrap or Ziploc style freezer bag. Firmly pound the flank steak with a rolling pin or the smooth side of a meat mallet to an even thickness.The pounding breaks down the toughness of the flank steak.
- Take a fork and stab the steak all over on both sides, further tenderizing the steak.
- Place the flank steak into a freezer bag and pour the remaining marinade over the meat and place in the refrigerator to brine for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat your charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat. Lightly oil the grilling surface to allow an easy release when flipping.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade and place on the grilling surface.
- Discard marinade.
- Leave the flank steak on the grilling surface and flip only once (if you can wait for it to release cleanly). Normally, it takes about 5 minutes per side for a medium-rare flank steak, but each grill is at a little different temperature.
- When the flank steak reaches the desired doneness, remove from the heat and place on carving board, but resist slicing until it rests about 5 minutes.
- Slice across the grain and top with the 1 cup reserved marinade just prior to serving.
- Top with corn salsa, diced jalapeños or chopped cilantro (if desired).
Things you'll need for this recipe...